How many times have we waited for long term plans to work out, short term goals to fall into place, for much awaited phone calls, people to turn up on time, at the bank, at the ATM machine and how many times have we let it all get to us.
I write today, about waiting because it has opened up a lot of room for thought. I feel light because I have realised and accepted to take situations and people as they are. The concept is simple. Let go, and just let it be. We are in control for all that we feel. Correct me if I am wrong, but happiness is a state of mind. What we want is never proportional to what we get and waiting for that to happen is simply not going to help. Today has been a day of analysis and though I didn't have to see it to believe it, when I began to think about 'waiting' a lot of examples just swam in to my thoughts.
Watching the auto driver get impatient as I withdraw money from the ATM, yes, like any other day there is a long queue, I watch him look left, right, towards me several times, at his watch, tap his feet constantly, I wonder why he has brought it on himself. Hours later I find myself in the same situation, waiting, for a phone call, it's 1:00, it's 5:30, it's 7:00, it's 11:00 pm!!! Come on, what could have possibly gone wrong? Imagine, 10 hours of mental impatience. The examples might my numerous. We see them unfold everyday, either in ourselves or the people around us.
There have been stages in my life, when I have been rational and when I have not. It is never constant, for we are human and it is human to revert to comfort zones. It takes effort to be wise, to be rational, to be level headed. It's is easy, on the contrary, to revert to old habits, comfort zones, sulking, complaining, waiting and attributing your unhappiness to waiting. I remembered that at one stage I was optimistic about life. Waiting didn't matter, like several other discomforts, simply because perception and outlook of the situation was different, and I remembered how it felt to be able to let go and just let it be. Happy. It is quite pointless, I have realised, to let small irksome incidents ruin your state of mind, rather, I think henceforth I will be making the most of it. Making the most of time, of being in the 'now' and giving the present all that it deserves. In Spencer Johnson's words, "the present is a present you gift yourself".Plan.Plan for the future, don't let it be all that you're doing for the present such that it doesn't let it live your today in peace.
I find it very appropriate to quote Nike's slogan..Just do it!

4 comments:
I agree with you. We spend most of our life waiting, don't we? The moment we are born we wait to grow up. In school we wait to go to college... And well, we keep waiting and expecting that magic to happen once we are in the future... Never happens. The magic is in the present. We miss out on it because we look too much into the future...
Hi..A first timer here from Bungi..very nice thoughts expressed lucidly..Wait could turn out either way and enjoying the present is just in our hands..As you very correctly said Nikes ad just fits in here !!
If time permits do visit my blog..
Seasons greetings and wishing you a Happy New Year
TC
CU
Hey, you have been tagged...
Post a Comment