Monday, November 19, 2007

Feeling like Columbus




There's one thing I've been thinking about over the past couple of days, you could say a week. To get in touch with a person you've once upon a time been close to, after years and years have rolled by is like knowing how to ride a bicycle or learning how to swim. No matter how long it's been since you've tried your hand at each you never forget how to do it. You never forget the skill, you never forget how you used to relate to that one person years and years ago.

I recently got in touch with a friend of mine, it's been 12 years since we talked last. I am also taking for granted that we certainly did not talk about things we are talking about now and yet I feel like it's been 12 weeks, probably 12 months to do it some justice, but 12 years baaah!

There's something about meeting such special people again, some magic that's rekindled, some distant memory that suddenly seems so hard to forget, and very very 'in your face' real. We've each lived our different lives, probably even become completely different people, maybe I am just generalizing but what are the odds that I'm wrong? We still talk and understand like we used to that long ago. It's like she was never gone, and all those small presents that were exchanged back then, have always hung around the room somewhere probably because the hope was always alive that I would be able to talk about them someday with the person who presented them. Maybe it's about keeping that hope alive. That's something I've always believed in. Well here's cheers to meeting a very old friend.....

3 comments:

Bungz said...

Hmmm... I know what you mean... And there are a few with whom one can be that way... Thank God for those few...

Bungz said...

Oi! I have tagged you in my blog. Do you what you are supposed to. :P

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across this. Truly inspiring. =)Gives us all hope.